Discover the health benefits of chia seeds, and why you should be incorporating them into your daily diet.
If you’ve made recipes from this site before, or follow me in Instagram, you’ve probably seen that I love sneaking chia seeds into recipes whenever I can. So what’s the deal with these little seeds?
Health benefits of chia seeds:
The health benefits of chia seeds are incredible! They are truly nutritional powerhouses. Here’s why you should be adding them into your daily diet:
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids
- Chia seeds have a ton of nutrients for just a little bit of calories
- They’re high in antioxidants
- Chia seeds have nutrients that are beneficial for heart and bone health
- They’re a good source of protein
- Chia is the ancient Myan word for “strength”, and they’re known to provide healthy sustainable energy.
Did you know that chia seeds can absorb 10-12 times their weight in water? They expand in your stomach, which helps you feel fuller longer, and gives you sustained energy.
Now, it’s important to realize that just eating chia seeds won’t provide you with all of those benefits above. BUT they’re an excellent addition to a healthy diet if you’re not using them already!
How do you eat chia seeds?
You wouldn’t really eat chia seeds on their own, but they’re excellent when you mix them into other recipes. They’re really bland, so you can’t really taste them once you mix them with other foods.
Here’s some of my favorite ways to eat them:
- blend in a smoothie
- chia pudding (my kids LOVE this – recipe coming soon!)
- put in muffins, pancakes, breads
- sprinkle over yogurt or oatmeal
Where do you buy chia seeds?
You should be able to buy them in most grocery stores – look in the organic aisle! I actually have found them at BJ’s too – we like to buy them organic. And if you don’t want to search for them there, then they’re actually on Amazon too! (affiliate link)
Hope I convinced you to put a little more chia in your diet! Let me know on my Instagram – tag me in your stories or send me a message with how you’re adding chia seeds into your day!